I have myself a new little project.
Now that Emily and Josh can play more independently together for short periods of time I am finding a little bit more time to do things other than housework! Woo hoo for that I say.
So after gathering some ideas from magazines, blogs and cookbooks and my new love pinterest, I thought that I would try to make something from scratch each week. That being something one could otherwise buy in the supermarket. I figured that I could improve my skills in the kitchen and see whether it is more cost effective to make something yourself than buy it. I guess it is to see how self sufficient one can be. If it works and tastes good then I may or may not keep making it, I guess we will see.
For my first week I tried hommus. Straight forward with simple ingredients. I used dried chickpeas, soaked them overnight then cooked them. All was going well with the ingredients in the food processor when I took the lid off to see how it was going, then a little chubby hand popped up onto the counter and pulled down the lid. There it lay on the floor with the locking mechanism snapped off.
Ahh, I felt so disappointed, the food processor is now useless and the whole lot had to go as I had no other way of blending it up. No hommus for us this week.
The joys of cooking with little people around.
Next week I am going to try and make some bread without my bread maker. Fingers crossed!